vendredi 1 juin 2012

Getting there at last............

I may have moaned about the noise, the cold and the mess but finally it all seems to be coming together here at our petite chateau renovation. 
We went from this.................


To this........................


And then from this.....................
To this........................


The old reclaimed mahogony parquet flooring from a local chateau is now being laid. It is such an intricate process........








Its getting quite exciting now! I have my paints chosen, my chandeliers ready, my wall sconces waiting and old shutters for the inside of the windows. The fireplace still has to be secured, a log burner installed and skirting boards have to be chosen and fitted.


I can`t wait for the old floor to be sanded and waxed to see what colours emerge.


It`s been a long haul and I have said many times "never again!" but it doesn`t seem so bad at all now!!


A la prochaine mes belles.................

8 commentaires:

  1. Hello, been following your blog for a bit now but never commented, but wow! that floor and that room! Absolutely beautiful. I do love a before, during and after photo and I have a major crush on parquet floors so I look forward to seeing yours done. What a gorgeous place to live.
    Enjoy your weekend!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Merci!!! It`s been a long process and a steep learning curve!!
      xx

      Supprimer
  2. It's all looking good Shirl! I am sure all your followers, including moi, are excited to see the finished result. A job well done! How long has it taken?
    Much love
    Di
    X

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Hi Di
      We have been here just over 2 years now. Its been new windows,new plumbing ( there was no water connected), new electrics throughout, a new fosse septique,add a kitchen,attic conversion, roofing,there was no bathroom but we do have one now!! Still lots and lots to do yet but its definitely more comfy!!
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

      Supprimer
  3. At Last, great song! Yes, renovating is so time consuming and take the patience of a SAINT.

    God Love You Shirley, you are creating a wonderful nest.

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. It looks simply super. Loved reading about your searches for the right piece. During all the muck, mess and at times despair, it is the finished look in our minds eye that keeps us going. You have an amazing home and all testement to your dedication and hard work, can't wait to see the next installement.
    Have a great weekend

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. I have been waiting to see pix of your before and after, and these make me clap my hands! with joy!! What a very cool château you have!! I followed the story of the bedroom upstairs transformation [ for Tartelette] and can't wait to see the gorgeous doors you bought installed. Also, it appears that you have cut windows and a door into the right wing made of stone. I did not know you could do that, but then, why not? I haunt the internet , looking for old French barns and cottages to renovate, and I've always lamented the fact that the ancient places had so few windows.
    BTW, we have had a change of plans, and now we are going back to Bayeux again instead of the Eure. We had planned on ferreting out the hidden Château de Morsan [ lillian Williams' famous little beauty] but now I have found out a lot more, and it no longer has the same attraction, so we have changed our itinerary yet again [ I book and un-book faster than any race track bookie.] We are now staying at Le Tardif, Noble Guesthouse in Bayeux. Is that near you?????? I would LOVE to meet you for a café or vin or WhatEV!!
    xx
    dawne

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. Lovely! You give me hope that I can get through some upcoming renovations!

    RépondreSupprimer