lundi 7 mars 2011

Kittens in mittens!!

Sunday morning at 6am and we were up, dressed and off brocanting in the freezing cold. We came home with some divine old treasures so the cold was well worth it. One very astute dealer had brought with him a box of old shop stock of 1950s knitted mittens which were selling tres vite! For some reason the word "mittens" stuck in my brain and I spent the whole morning trying to remember the words to the nursery rhyme " Three little kittens have lost their mittens" ! I will not tell you the rest of the verse; I will let it torment you as it did me !! Can you remember it?


On the way home we passed this wonderful old crumbling ruin and of course had to trespass and take some photographs! It looks as if this divine old place is now just used by someone to store their farm machinery but there was no farmhouse in sight. It must have been part of a very very grand estate judging by the size of the pidgeonaire. The brickwork is so ornate and I desperately wanted to open that door and peer in.
I could just see the nesting holes inside in the latttice inner brickwork. Now there`s a door I would have loved to have brought home! Can you imagine such a decadent confection just to house your doves?

The other building was very grandiose! Look at those arches where the carriages would have been stored. Either side are old stables with beautiful old iron grilles.
And that little stone oeil de boeuf window? Fantastique!

Looking around the land at those crumbling walls, all dressed stone and built by master craftsmen hundreds of years ago, it must have been a large manoir or perhaps even a chateau here originally.

Some places here just seem to sit and quietly crumble. Nature reclaims the land and no one seems to care or look back at the history. I can feel a metal detector coming on as a birthday present!!!

Three little kittens...........

6 commentaires:

  1. Three little kittens, they lost their mittens,


    And they began to cry,

    Oh, mother dear, we sadly fear


    That we have lost our mittens.

    What! Lost your mittens, you naughty kittens!


    Then you shall have no pie.

    Mee-ow, mee-ow, mee-ow, mee-ow.

    You shall have no pie.


    The three little kittens, they found their mittens,


    And they began to cry,

    Oh, mother dear, see here, see here,


    Our mittens we have found.

    Put on your mittens, you silly kittens,


    And you shall have some pie.

    Purr-r, purr-r, purr-r,

    Oh, let us have some pie.


    The three little kittens, put on their mittens,


    And soon ate up the pie;

    Oh, mother dear, we greatly fear


    That we have soiled our mittens

    What! Soiled your mittens, you naughty kittens!


    Then they began to sigh,

    Mee-ow, mee-ow, mee-ow, mee-ow.

    They began to sigh.


    The three little kittens, they washed their mittens,


    And hung them out to dry;

    Oh! mother dear, do you not hear


    That we have washed our mittens?

    What! Washed your mittens, then you’re such good kittens.


    But I smell a rat close by

    Mee-ow, mee-ow, mee-ow, mee-ow.

    We smell a rat close by.[1]
    Sorry this has taken up so much room, but you had driven me mad trying to think of the words!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Shirley and Mark, your choice of music for your entries is unbelievable great, I am so envious. I remember Hinge and Bracket singing this when I was quite young at the London Palladium and my dad cried with laughter, at that age I couldn't see the funny side but now I am his age and it makes chuckle...xxxxx I bought 25 kilo of Parsnips today do you want some.....?

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Hi Georgie
    It drove me crazy too!!! I was repeating it all the way home like an idiot!!
    xx

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Hi Viv
    PARSNIPS................PARSNIPS....THE HOLY GRAIL. Yes please...can I collect a few please. Should I book securicor?
    xxx

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. This building is so beautiful and it's upsetting that it's abandoned like that. Thank you for these wonderful pictures.

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. What a wonderful range of outbuildings! Can't you just see them done up as artisanal and marche des pouces galleries with "des res" over top of them?
    What an estate that mnust have been!!

    RépondreSupprimer